Monday, January 16, 2012

One Year

Wow, Philip, I can't believe it has been a year since you joined our family.  I joke that this year has been the longest and shortest of my life.  You were a complete shock to our system and a total change to our routine, but don't know what we would do without you now.

For the first 10 months of your life, mama and you didn't sleep very well - you better than me, but still not great.  Because of that, I feel like I spent a lot of those early months in a fog and honestly, wishing you older.  I would imagine that if only we could make it to six months, you would start crawling and things would be easier, and then six months came and you were happy to stick close to mom and not crawl, so I thought, if only we could make it to seven months, eight months, nine months, or, or, or...things would be easier.  The longest and shortest year of my life.  It was easy at times and hard at others, but in the long scope of things what a short year it has been.

It feels like just yesterday that you were born, that we were in the hospital, that I held you close to my chest after we welcomed you to the world.  It seems like yesterday that we came home to a welcome home baby brother sign from your very excited big sister, that we were greeted by family dinner at our house for days and days to make the transition from one to two easier.  Seems like yesterday that you fit comfortably on my chest, like it was a shelf made for you, that you slept almost all day, only waking to eat and look for mama.  Seems like yesterday that I thought I might pass out from exhaustion - oh, wait, that was yesterday!

In this short year of your life, you have made many trips with mom, traveled many miles in cars and planes.  Seen many new places, met new faces, seen the cottage for the first time and visited the castle a few more times.  We have found what you like and what you don't.  What makes you smile and what makes you cry.  We have found how to work our routine and your routine together and how you are SO much different than your big sister.

This next year will bring many more firsts and we are so excited to welcome them together.  I miss you being small, but can't wait for what being bigger brings.  I love you more than you know. 

No comments:

Post a Comment