Saturday, February 18, 2012

Anniversary of Engagement

Six years ago Phil was away on a work trip and Christmas was fast approaching.  I was sad that he was going to miss Christmas with me and was really hoping he could get home before the holiday.  On Christmas Eve-Eve (or Christmas Adam), unbeknownst to me Phil had made it back to town.  He and my brother crafted a plan where I would meet my brother for a drink and Phil would surprise me by delivering it to the table, rather than the waitress.  Not wanting to go out, I begrudgingly met my brother for a drink at a crowded bar.  After I ordered my drink, a few minutes passed and my drink was delivered, not by the waitress, but by Phil.  To say I was surprised would be an understatement.  I was speechless.

Christmas morning came and Phil and I went to my parents house to open presents.  I am casually opening presents when I start to open one of two gifts Phil got me.  The first was an advent-type book which was illustrated by someone from his home town.  He said he thought it would be a book we could read every Christmas (which we try to do now).  The second gift was a DVD, or so I thought.  I opened it up and there was a gift certificate for a spray tan.  Strange gift, yes, until Phil announced that he got me the spray tan in advance of my real gift, which was a trip to Cancun.  Now, having Phil make it home from his work trip in time for Christmas was gift enough, but toss in a trip to Cancun, a spray tan and a book?  Okay, excited and speechless again!

We decided to go on our trip in February and again, unbeknownst to me, Phil was planning another surprise.  We left on a Sunday morning, getting to Cancun late that night.  After checking in and getting to our room, we went to one of the bars that had food so we could eat before going straight to sleep.  Well, that was the plan.  We ended up being lured to another bar for a competition.  A competition that I won, and at the end of me winning the competition, Phil dropped to his knees, grabbed the microphone from the host of the competition, whipped out the ring box and asked me to marry him.  Shocked, excited and almost speechless, I said yes.

Was it romantic?  Not so much, but I wouldn't have had it any other way.  Looking at all that has happened over the past six years and how happy we are now, it makes me excited about what the future holds.  Our love has deepened and grown and I can't imagine my life without him.  I guess it is a good thing I won that competition, otherwise, who knows where I'd be.  We will celebrate the anniversary of our engagement by hanging around the house so I can pack for a work trip I'm leaving for on Monday.

Happy Anniversary Phil!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks your method of writing people explain your article within the blog well at all.
    Restaurant deals in philadelphia

    ReplyDelete